Some divers like deep wrecks, kelp forests, or caves, however I choose shallow, tropical dives. I really like watching sunbeams dance throughout the reef and feeling the nice and cozy solar on my pores and skin.
Perhaps I really like the solar a lot as a result of I grew up within the Pacific Northwest (an space recognized for its chilly, moist climate). From mid-October via mid-April, there are solely a handful of sunny days.
Once I was about 10-years-old, my dad was recognized with pores and skin most cancers (Melanoma. Everybody was shocked. Whereas some dads fish, play golf or journey mountain bikes, mine watched TV, learn books and performed poker. In different phrases, he was an indoor dad (with a good complexion).
The docs caught his most cancers in time and have been capable of take away the melanoma. He’s nonetheless alive at the moment, however the expertise left us with a number of uncertainty. If my dad might get pores and skin most cancers simply by mowing the garden sometimes, all of us have to be cautious. One of the simplest ways to stop pores and skin most cancers, wrinkles and different points is to attenuate solar publicity. But when, like me, you crave star damage right here’s how you can shield your pores and skin:
#1: Keep away from Peak UV Radiation Hours
The solar’s rays hit peak depth between 10 am – four pm, so it’s essential to keep away from direct publicity throughout these hours (even on cloudy days). The surface temperature isn't an correct method to measure UV depth, use your watch as an alternative.
#2: Cowl Up
Hats, rashguards, umbrellas and different bodily obstacles are higher than sunscreen — for lots of causes.
- Your rashguard gained’t wash off underwater.
- Many sunscreens, even ones labeled “reef safe” include chemical compounds that may kill coral.
- Most individuals don’t use sufficient sunscreen (see #5 under).
#three: Put on Sun shades with UV safety
Sunglasses with UV protection minimize damage that may result in imaginative and prescient issues (as a consequence of macular degeneration), untimely cataracts and pores and skin most cancers within the space round your eyes. Take a look at these sunglasses made from ocean plastic that provide 100% UV safety.
#four: Don’t Overlook Your Neck, Lips and Ears
A number of the commonest locations pores and skin most cancers will type embrace the neck, palms, ears, lips and face. Most of us are good about placing sunscreen on our face and arms however might overlook concerning the again of the neck, lips and ideas of the ears. The easiest way to stop solar injury to those areas is to use a lip balm with SPF and put on a wide-brimmed hat.
- I like All Good’s natural lip balm with SPF as a result of it makes use of (reef protected) non-nano zinc oxide. I by chance purchased a lip balm made with chemical sunscreen and it irritated my lips a lot I virtually went to the physician.
- If a wide-brimmed hat isn’t your fashion, use a reef-safe sunscreen to guard the again of your neck and ideas of your ears.
#5: Do Sunscreen Photographs With Your Buddy
Most individuals don’t use sufficient sunscreen. Docs advocate utilizing a shot glass-sized quantity to completely cowl your physique. Meaning a 100 ml/three.5 ouncessqueeze bottle of sunscreen accommodates solely three or 4 purposes (one more reason to spend money on a rashguard – you need to use it time and again).
In the event you use sunscreen, ask your buddy for help making use of it to your again, shoulders and different hard-to-reach locations. Ensure you apply sunscreen at the least 30 minutes earlier than solar publicity to make sure it has sufficient time to soak up into your pores and skin.
#6: Don’t Use Expired Sunscreen
Most sunscreens have an expiration date stamped on them someplace. When you can’t discover a date stamp, however suspect the bottle is greater than three years previous, don’t use it.
- Sunscreen is sweet for as much as three years, however publicity to daylight or excessive temperatures may cause it to run out quicker.
- Don’t maintain sunscreen in your automotive or depart it in direct daylight. When diving, wrap it up in a towel and put it within the coolest place you will discover.
- Eliminate any sunscreen that smells humorous, has modified shade, separated or if the contents are clumpy.
- If you purchase a brand new sunscreen, write the acquisition date (month and yr) on the bottle utilizing a everlasting marker.
As talked about above, a wide-brimmed hat plus a long-sleeved rashguard with UV safety is probably the most reef-friendly solution to shield your pores and skin. If, for no matter purpose, the hat + rashy combo doesn’t be just right for you, please select a (really) reef-safe sunscreen.
Many well-liked sunscreens include chemical compounds that destroy coral – even merchandise labeled “reef protected.” A current research discovered just one drop of oxybenzone in 15 million liters (three.9 million gallons) of water is all it takes to kill coral, and certain diving destinations ban chemical sunscreens.
Before you purchase your subsequent bottle of sunscreen: