In 2020, PADI shaped a brand new, long-term partnership with The Ocean Basis.
The Ocean Foundation is the world’s solely group basis devoted to reversing the development of destruction of ocean environments around the globe. Naturally, this aligns with our mission completely so we simply needed to staff up. We're stronger collectively!
Our first joint undertaking is concentrated on The Ocean Basis’s SeaGrass Grow Program. Seagrass and mangroves are unimaginable sequesters of carbon (35x more effective than Amazonian rainforest!). Plus, these ecosystems present the foundations of life within the ocean, appearing as refuge and nourishment for actually hundreds of reef creatures that we LOVE to dive with, like turtles, manatees and all method of shimmering fish!
Sadly, these habitats are being misplaced on the price of two soccer feilds per hour!
The ugly actuality is that numerous this habitat destruction is completed by a well-meaning hospitality business that goals to please us by pruning every shoreline to draw vacationers looking for that “good” white sandy seashore. Seagrass is a gorgeous a part of marine shallows (simply take a look at the Maldives for proof), and when it’s lacking, it’s about time we began asking why.
The staff at PADI Travel need to be a part of the answer, partaking with replanting efforts that concurrently mitigate local weather change. In consequence, they now supply each diver the prospect to offset some or all the carbon emissions related to their dive journey with a $20 per ton charitable donations to The SeaGrass Develop Program. At PADI, we consider that dive tourism is likely one of the strongest instruments for conservation when dealt with appropriately. For example, take a look at these PADI Dive Operators main the best way in sustainable hospitality.
Getting Sensible – The 10 Yr Plan
By means of this initiative and others to comply with over the approaching decade, PADI will help The Ocean Basis in considerably restoring seagrass and mangrove habitats throughout our shared ocean. The present challenge is predicated in Jobos Bay, Puerto Rico, and you may study extra concerning the website and progress here. Under are photographs from the venture, together with pre-pandemic volunteers taking restorative motion. As we progress, we purpose to not solely restore these very important ecosystems, however allow PADI Divers to get palms on with restoration in Puerto Rico and elsewhere too.
Right here’s a few issues you are able to do to be a part of the answer proper now in keeping with the Torchbearer 5 Community Goals:
- Stand Up for the Ocean – Converse to your family and friends concerning the deserves of sustainable journey and/or the magic of seagrass! Right here’s some talking points.
- Assume Duty – Look out for (or create) seagrass and mangrove restoration packages in your native space and become involved! Right here’s some advice.
- Dive with a Objective – Ask your dive store to go to seagrass and mangrove dive websites and take plenty of footage. There’s so much life we're lacking once we focus solely on the coral reef.
- Scale back Our Carbon Footprint – Head to The Ocean Basis’s SeaGrass Grow Carbon Calculator, work out your footprint and offset it.
- Make Sustainable Decisions – Help dive resorts which are taking a sustainable approach to hospitality. Right here’s some tips that will help you do exactly that!