Taking a look at human historical past, two attribute stands out repeatedly as our biggest power when teams and societies overcome threats, face challenges and enact very important modifications. Solidarity and unity, have repeatedly overcome oppression, prevailed over illness and altered our future – for higher and worse.
As civil rights chief Martin Luther King put it, “There's energy in numbers and there's energy in unity,” (my emphasis). When individuals unite with a standard imaginative and prescient, decide to it and act decisively with hope and perception, we accomplish so much and are troublesome to cease. Solidarity is reshaping our future by means of rising unity to revive a wholesome stability between people and the ocean. The worldwide household of PADI Divers and Torchbearers is a quickly rising, seen and more and more influential necessary a part of this. Collectively, we're making a distinction.
One current instance, final yr, 23,000 divers added their voices to petition the Conference on Worldwide Commerce in Endangered Species (CITES) calling for the Mako shark to hitch the record of species with internationally-agreed protections. In consequence, the Mako was amongst 18 shark/ray species to which CITES added commerce controls. This initiative was not the primary one – it constructed upon a earlier one, the 2010 success that adopted CITES delegates receiving 135,000+ signatures and 245,000+ letters calling for shark species safety – neither is it the final; there are extra coming.
5 issues to recollect about Solidarity and unified individuals:
- Measurement issues. The extra individuals who unite, the extra energy and affect they've. The worldwide household of PADI Divers is – by far – already the most important and most influential diver group that has ever existed, and we’re trying to elevate this voice with a billion or more PADI Torchbearers. (In the event you’ve not added but added your identify to the PADI Torchbearer listing, please achieve this here.). The reason being easy – the extra unified voices we've got, the higher we’re heard and the more durable we're to disregard.
- The enemy of our enemy is our pal. Or in different phrases, our numbers and power develop once we ally with different communities which have a standard imaginative and prescient, and the larger and extra unified we are, the extra allies we appeal to. For instance, because of the dimensions and power of our international household, PADI and Venture AWARE now ally with a rising listing of greater than a dozen organizations, groups and corporations working collectively to save lots of the ocean from our widespread enemies of worldwide local weather change, overfishing, plastics air pollution and so forth.
- We don’t agree on every thing, however we don’t need to. The PADI household spans 185+ nations and territories, with 27 million+ divers and 137,000+ professionals unfold amongst each tradition and other people on Earth – so in fact we've totally different views on issues starting from politics as to if the Beatles was the most effective band ever. However, our shared imaginative and prescient to save lots of the oceans lets us set these apart and act powerfully, as one, as a result of it's much more essential than most of our variations.
- Native/particular person initiatives and actions are important. Although we act in unity, our work occurs by way of the motion of smaller teams and people. A few of us drive coverage modifications for the ocean, others do analysis and but others restore coral – all required to perform our unified imaginative and prescient. Solely people and localized teams can act regionally. So far, as I write this, a shipping accident has created a major oil spill affecting wildlife and corals of Mauritius within the Indian Ocean. PADI Dive Facilities and Resorts throughout the island nation, together with scuba and fishing communities, are becoming a member of collectively to include, management and clear up the spill, uniting with native NGOs and enormous parts of the general public. That is a person/group native motion, however the remainder of us might help too (check out how here) to fund the native cleanup.
- Unified individuals be careful for one another. When the pandemic hit, just like the overwhelming majority of small companies, PADI Dive Outlets and Resorts all over the place took an enormous hit – and most are nonetheless struggling. However, the unity of the PADI household is making a distinction. PADI Divers have rallied behind their native outlets and favourite dive resorts by collaborating in every little thing from Women’s Dive Day events to persevering with their schooling socially distanced, to Challenge AWARE actions. Experiencing the thrill and adventures of local diving has surged dramatically – and that's serving to a number of dive outlets climate the storm.
“A single arrow is definitely damaged, however not ten in a bundle,” goes a Japanese proverb. On behalf of the worldwide PADI group, thanks for including your voice and efforts to ours. Collectively, we gained’t be damaged.
Search journey. Save the ocean.
Dr. Drew Richardson
PADI President & CEO