There are dozens of causes to grow to be a scuba teacher: you receives a commission to dive, you meet superb individuals, and so on. However that’s not what this text is about.
This text is concerning the myths, misconceptions and misunderstandings that forestall individuals from taking their ardour for scuba diving to the subsequent degree. Learn on to study the reality about turning into a scuba teacher and the PADI® Instructor Development Course (IDC).
MYTH #1: You Want an Encyclopedic Information of Scuba Diving
Don’t know the distinction between a nembrotha cristata and a nembrotha kubaryana? That’s okay. Some PADI Instructors are animal ID specialists, others know fascinating particulars about their native wrecks. These expertise are good to have, however they aren’t needed to show somebody methods to scuba dive.
- The PADI Divemaster course will train you the basics of diving physics, physiology, gear and the setting.
- Within the PADI IDC, you’ll discover ways to work with college students, deal with numerous issues, and clarify ideas like buoyancy in a method that’s straightforward to know.
- The PADI System has helped hundreds of divers turn into profitable PADI Professionals. All you should convey to the desk is love for the underwater world and a want to share that zeal with others.
MYTH #2: It Takes a Lengthy Time to Turn into a Scuba Teacher
In the event you’re already a PADI Divemaster (or maintain a leadership-level certification with one other coaching company), you possibly can turn into a PADI Teacher in about 11 days (on common). Or, you'll be able to full your coaching steadily over a collection of weekends.
- First, you’ll want 10-12 hours to finish your on-line coaching (IDC eLearning®).
- Subsequent, you’ll spend minimal 6 days working together with your PADI Course Director(s) training educating shows, finishing workshops and perfecting your dive expertise.
- The final step, the PADI Teacher Examination (IE) takes place over two consecutive days.
You’ll want at the least 100 logged dives to start out the IDC and proof of EFR training inside the previous 24 months. For those who don’t have already got this stuff, your coaching time could also be longer. Right here’s an entire record of conditions to start out the PADI IDC.
MYTH #three: It Prices a Lot of Cash to Turn out to be a Scuba Teacher
We ran the numbers and the average cost to become a scuba instructor is about the same as becoming a watersports instructor or 200-hour yoga instructor. A mean PADI Teacher course is definitely inexpensive than a mean ski or snowboarding teacher course.
MYTH #four: The PADI IDC is Solely Useful If You Need to Train Scuba for a Dwelling
One of the crucial widespread issues we hear from PADI Instructors is how a lot their IDC coaching helped them succeed within the “actual world.” Through the IDC, you’ll discover ways to:
- Break down complicated info into easy ideas
- Assist individuals embrace new concepts by evaluating them to issues they already perceive
- Give suggestions in a constructive and supportive means
- Attraction to individuals with totally different studying types
- Set up a constructive studying surroundings
Study extra about how becoming a PADI Instructor benefits you in the real world. Or, learn up on the various (many) career options for PADI Pros together with, marine biologist, underwater crime scene investigator, stunt individual and underwater archeologist.
In the event you don’t really feel prepared – that’s okay. Most individuals don’t, that’s why it’s referred to as “The Teacher Improvement Course.” Your PADI Course Director will present you the in’s and out’s of educating scuba, identical to your Open Water teacher confirmed you the best way to take your first breaths underwater.
On this writer’s opinion, the Open Water Diver course® is lots more durable than the IDC.
- Firstly of the Open Water Diver course, you begin with zero information.
- Once you begin the IDC, you already know the way to dive. The course teaches you how you can switch your information to others.
Contact a PADI Five Star IDC or CDC with any questions you've gotten about turning into a PADI Professional. They’ll be completely happy to share their experience. You can too watch this recorded webinar that explains how you can grow to be a PADI Skilled.